I know what you're thinking. If I buy a franchise, will my franchise make money? Here are 10 tips to get through the "clutter" of franchising information and increase your odds of franchise owner business success!
1. What do I Enjoy: Make sure you sit down and analyze yourself. Choose a business that you can see yourself doing, enjoying and excelling at.
2. Avoid Fads: Make sure the business you choose is sustainable, creates a reoccurring revenue model and is a valuable and needed service. Will this business be around in 5 or so years?
3. Be Wary of Sales: Franchises that have lots of existing units for sale could be troubled. If it's such a great business to get in why are people getting out? Check websites that list franchises for sale.
4. Use a Scam Filter: Google the name of the franchise and the word "scam". This may lead to complaints. All franchise systems have a few unhappy franchisees, the key words here is "a few"!
5. Make Sure the Franchisor is Running the Concept: Yes, you heard me correctly, many franchisors are not currently running their own concept and some have never run the concept! If the franchise needs to test market a new product or service, then guess who the guinea pig is?
6. Happiness Counts: Franchisors will almost always guarantee you great service and support. Call the franchisees, if they aren't happy, chances are you probably won't be either, and vice- versa.
7. Is the Business Model Sustainable: I already talked about avoiding fads but that is not what I am talking about here. I am talking about spotting consumer trends and if the concept will pass the test of time or can it be replaced by something like the intranet? (think video sales)
8. Study the FDD: Item 7, the cost to build out and Item 19, the financial performance representations are important, but so is the Item 20 which will give you a history of how many units have closed. If you are one who really hates surprises, then look at the Item 6 and what additional fees you may be paying.
9. Go to Discovery Day: In my humble opinion the best money you will ever spend is before you buy a franchise. Did you meet your spouse before you married them? You are entering into a business agreement with someone who is agreeing to give you the training and support you need to succeed, so go meet these people and see if they are the kind of people you want to have a long term relationship with.
10. Run the Numbers: You know, I am amazed how many people never run the numbers. You should be able to look at the item 19, or call the franchisees, and get enough numbers to run a proforma. Make sure you don't have unrealistic expectations and understand what you will make if you own a successful location.
I hope these tips help and you can become as successful as our franchisees at Shear Madness Haircuts for Kids! Meet some of them by reading one of our recent articles (right here
) that shares a little bit about who they are! Additionally, Shear Madness Franchising franchises Shear Madness Haircuts for Kids salons. We have worked with franchise stores in providing franchisee support (in order to encourage continual growth and business success), and have sometimes seen the unexpected happen! When it does, we help by identifying and helping with challenges that might arise for franchisees. Additionally, we work to present options that can help prevent these events as well. As many franchise owners may not have opened a business before, having someone who can advise them is a significant advantage of franchise ownership!
Would you like to sign up for our Monthly newsletter? If so, click HERE!
Are you interested in learning how YOU can join the Shear Madness Haircuts for Kids family and run your own successful small business? We are one of the fastest growing kids hair salons in the industry today! If you would like to learn more about this franchise opportunity or small business marketing, great marketing strategies, resources for small businesses, how to grow your small business or how to become a successful owner of your own kids hair salon franchise business, please click below or call 1-888-98 GONE MAD