There is only one thing that is inevitable in business ownership: the crisis. And while there's many crisis situations that your franchisor can help walk you through - some of them will ultimately end up requiring a solution that only you as the business owner can provide. And the fact of the matter is that when you do become a business owner, you will sometimes experience crisis frequently. Furthermore, they are often unpredictable, and can cause serious damage to your business. Whew! Sounds fun doesn't it?
However, as the owner of your business you have assumed the role of the leader of your staff and organization. This is why when you run into a time of crisis, you must demonstrate your competence. In other words, you must remain cool, calm, objective and completely in control. But most of all, in a time of business crisis it's important to maintain the leadership qualities that show your staff and employees that you are worthy of being followed. Some of the qualities of a great leader are:
1) Great leaders never jump to conclusions before knowing the facts that caused the crisis in the first place. They access the damage and make whatever decisions are necessary to minimize it. Remember that getting all sides of the story is important as sometimes the crisis may just be a missunderstanding!
2) Great leaders realize that everything they say could be magnified. Therefore they praise and encourage people, both in their presence and when they're not around. If they have a problem with someone, they seek to address them in private.
3) Great leaders accept a high level of personal responsibility. They never complain, make excuses, or blame others for their problems.
4) They walk the talk - not to put on a show - but because they have the integrity and values to be the leader, and exhibit the kinds of traits that make others want to follow!
5) Great leaders are great listeners. They value what their employees and staff have to offer and they recognize that they are the "team" that makes the business run. They understand that the people are the most valuable asset the company has.
It's a sad reality that many businesses have failed due to the fact that there was no leader in the organization who could "steady the ship" in times of crisis. Which means that if you're someone who is interested in buying a franchise or any other business, you'll definitely want to take a self-assessment of yourself to see if you have the business skills that your business will require to ensure success!
Shear Madness Franchising franchises Shear Madness Haircuts for Kids salons. We have worked with franchise stores in providing franchisee support (in order to encourage continual growth and business success), and have sometimes seen the unexpected happen! When it does, we help by identifying and helping with challenges that might arise for franchisees. Additionally, we work to present options that can help prevent these events as well. As many franchise owners may not have opened a business before, having someone who can advise them is a significant advantage of franchise ownership!
Would you like to sign up for our Monthly newsletter? If so, click HERE!
Are you interested in learning how YOU can join the Shear Madness Haircuts for Kids family and run your own successful small business? We are one of the fastest growing kids hair salons in the industry today! If you would like to learn more about this franchise opportunity or franchise investments, great marketing strategies, resources for small businesses, how to grow your small business or how to become a successful owner of your own kids hair salon franchise business, please click below or call 1-888-98 GONE MAD